We are a group of concerned Torontonians who wish to protect of the health and safety of our community and the environment. Our goal is to eradicate the usage of tire waste infill toxic artificial turf on playing fields and playgrounds. For more information, visit our Issues and Updates pages.
Listen to a few words from fellow Ryan Storm below.
In sum, usage of tire infill artificial turf negatively impacts the community and the environment in the following ways:
- Loss of public access to green spaces
- Leaching carcinogens and toxins into our water systems
- Inhalation and ingestion of toxins, carcinogens, and hormone disrupting chemicals released from crumb rubber infill
- Higher risk of injury for athletes
- Temperatures on artificial turf fields can reach dangerously high levels
- Tiny granules of crumb rubber stick to athletes’ skin, clothing and shoes and are tracked into our streets and homes
- Increased risk of Staph Infections from cuts, scrapes, and “turf burn”
- Children and adolescents are especially vulnerable to the health hazards of artificial turf; even more so in domed spaces
- Artificial turf is highly flammable